Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Stockings!

For those of you who have read my blog, you know that I love to knit Christmas Stockings and every year, I look for new people to knit stockings for. Last year, I offered to make stockings and a few people contacted me about my offering. Now you can see the stockings that I created this year and a little story about each one.

Stocking # 1
 This first stocking that I knit was started in July during my volunteer shifts at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival. It took me a while to figure out what design to do on this stocking as I was asked by a friend from high school to knit this for her mother-in-law to be. After my many questions, I chose this yarn that I bought at Baad Anna's on Hastings street in Vancouver and a bit of yarn from my mother's stash and started the design of a candle.

It felt right to me that Joie should have some light in her stocking along with a traditional look in colour and design which is why I chose the candle. This was the first stocking that I knit this year and the last one to be delivered on December 23rd. Just in time. The friend who asked me to knit it and her partner were absolutely delighted and said it was perfect. I spent 5 hours visiting with them when I delivered the stocking and thoroughly enjoyed my time. What gifts we can bring each other.



 This is stocking number 2 that I started knitting on my way to the Western Canadian Oireachtas, which is the Western Canadian Regional Championships of Irish Dance for my daughter. I was actually half way through stocking number 5, but ran out of yarn and had to re-do it causing this one to become stocking number 2. This is for a little girl who lives in Victoria who has amazing parents that I am blessed to know.

I originally met Bliss Prema years ago in another incarnation. We have seen each other through many changes and I am grateful for each and every moment that I have had with her. If you have any interest in personal growth, spirituality and following your dreams, look up her name online and see her latest offerings to the world. She is a gifted woman and her husband Seamus form Ireland is a beautiful man. I look forward to knitting a stocking this year for their next child. Thank you for giving me the gift of knitting Uisce's.
This stocking is for Leslie, my daughter's Irish Dance Teacher for about 11 or more years. This is my version of the logo for Scoil Rince de Danaan (Leslie's Irish Dance school) and it took several musings in my mind to figure out what I was going to do for an incredibly intricate design. This was the last stocking that I started even though it was not the last one to get finished.

This one came about in August when I asked Leslie's Daughter Beca if she thought that Leslie would like a handknit Christmas Stocking from me and Beca replied emphatically yes and that all of their stockings had disappeared and they (Leslie and her two daughters, Meredie and Beca) didn't have any. As soon as Beca said that I knew I would be knitting three and the process of design started.

I design each stocking and sometime I draw out the graphs or I go on Ravelry to find a design that works for what I want. On Leslie's I was trying to figure out how to transition from the dark blue to the lighter blue and my daughter, Boedicea, made her first graph for me to use on her teacher's stocking. She created the graph for the swirls and that is her design.

This is the stocking for Meredie and her name is on it in red even though it is hard to see as the red and green were both quite dark. By the time we got to the De Danaan Feis the first weekend of December, I still had 2 1/2 stockings to knit that needed to be finished by December 17th. So I knit all weekend while volunteering at the Feis. This one I had folded over and safety pinned together so that the name was not visible as Meredie, Beca and Leslie were all at the Feis, and Beca knew that I was knitting a stocking for Leslie, but did not know about the ones for herself and Meredie.

Meredie is a musician and I had to make sure that this one was musically correct, and it is. I knit this one in one weekend and alot of knitting was done during the Beoga concert. They were impressed with my ability to knit musical notes. Silent night is the song on this stocking and Meredie was delighted when she saw it.



This is Beca's stocking and I did have a bit of a struggle at first with this one. I was not sure what to knit for Beca. She does hair and make up and all sorts of things for all the Irish Dancers at De Danaan. I feel like I have know her forever, but I think it is only since she was a teenager.

I wanted to knit something for her that had some classic elegance with an Irish flavour but was not too fussy. I started working on this Aran style stocking and realized that a take off on Belleek china was where I was headed with this one. I crocheted the little shamrocks to put inside the cable Christmas tree.

I normally knit the names in, but I wanted to do Beca's in a more scrollwork pattern and so I crocheted the gold yarn to be able to sew it on the stocking. This method also made it easier to knit at the De Danaan Feis as there was no name to identify the recipient of this stocking.


These were the stockings that I knit this year and I hope to knit many more next year. I have already got three orders for next year and will be starting on them soon.

If someone special to you deserves a handknit Christmas stocking, contact me.

Knitting stockings is something that brings me immense pleasure and I really look forward to making more.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May your house be full of humour, your heart full of love and your belly full of good food and may your New Year bring you all you need!

Janet


No comments: