Sunday, July 25, 2010

450 degrees


Making puff dough out of Spelt flour is one of those things that I have done many times in the past and at the previous location of the bakery (The Spelt Bakery) we used it for making cherry pinwheels and fruit filled pastries. Then I met Christine and she made this fabulous savoury strudel with my puff dough.

However, the last time we tried to make cherry pinwheels, they failed miserably. We baked them in our convection oven at the bakery at 375 degrees and the puff dough did not puff. So on Saturday night I decided to try puff dough again.

I took some little squares of puff dough that I had in the freezer at the bakery and brought them home. I folded the edges over to make a little edge and then brushed all the edges with egg wash.

Meanwhile I sautée two large leeks and a red onion in a bit of olive oil in one of my favourite cast iron frying pans. I added a touch of a rosemary/raspberry sea salt and cooked the leeks and onion until soft with a little bit of a brown edge.

With a fork, I divided the leek onion mixture between my seven little puff squares and crumbled a soft goat cheese on top. I then put some fresh ground black pepper on top and baked all of them at 450 degrees in the oven and THEY PUFFED!!!

The recipe for spelt puff dough is in my cookbook, Basic Spelt, available from the bakery.

I was so excited that I kept smiling and laughing little happy laughs. For those of you who have not met me, I like to smile and laugh like a five month old watching the dogs. (That's a reference to my granddaughter, Lilja) I like to get excited by the small things in life, like a good meal and the success of my puff dough.

Quite frankly, there are enough of all those small things to make life quite enjoyable.

I hope you like the picture of my puffy little goat cheese, leek and onion tarts. They were delicious with our tapas dinner of skewered prawns, tomatoes and red onions on the bbq and chicken wings with Christine's honey mustard sauce.

Success at 450!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yummy! am i going to be hungry every time i read your blog? :)

your cousin jeff